Gary Lopez – Compositor
Since graduating in 2012, Gary Lopez has been building his career as a digital compositor, crafting visual effects for movies like the 2016 reimagining of Ghostbusters, Furious 7, and the TV series Marco Polo and Limitless.
After graduating with a computer Computer animation Animation degree from The LA Los Angeles Film School in 2012, Gary Lopez landed his first compositor job with a company called Legend 3D, where he was a stereo compositor through 2014. While there, he worked as a stereo compositor on several well-known films, including:
Watch a trailer for the critically acclaimed film The Lego Movie below to see some of Lopez’s early work as a stereo compositor come to life!
Digital Compositor Career
In 2014, Lopez moved on to become a digital compositor and eventually a compositor, working with visual effects companies like Pixomondo, A52, and Zero VFX. As a digital compositor with these companies, Lopez has worked on a variety of well-known TV series and feature films, including:
• The hit fantasy TV series and Primetime Emmy nominee Sleepy Hollow as a digital compositor for two episodes of the second season.
• Ten episodes of another Primetime Emmy-nominated TV series, Marco Polo.
• Fantastic Four
• Furious 7, the seventh installment in the Fast and Furious series. The film won 23 awards the year it was released, including the VES Award for Outstanding Visual Effect in a Photoreal Feature for the extensive work put into keeping Paul Walker’s character in the movie after his death.
Check out a trailer for the film below:
By the time 2016 rolled around, Lopez was poised to act as a digital compositor for several projects, including the TV series Limitless, based on the 2011 film, as well as a diverse selection of feature films. Among these were:
• The Do-Over, starring Adam Sandler and David Spade
• The Magnificent Seven
• Patriots Day, which was named a top ten film by the National Board of Review
• Ghostbusters, which won two awards and was nominated for more than 25 others
• Sandy Wexler, a film starring Adam Sandler, who plays a show business talent manager
Watch the trailer for the 2017 film Sandy Wexler below: